Wednesday 3 February 2010

eBooks and the iPhone.

Do any technology related word start with a capital? eBooks have been around for years. I suppose it all started in 1971 with the launch of Project Gutenberg.

I've dabbled a little in the past. I've read PDF's on my laptop and I read two novels from DailyLit on my BlackBerry Pearl. Both were passable but not particularly pleasurable reading experinces.

Yesterday I installed Stanza on my iPhone. On my journey home I downloaded a few book and it all seemed very intuitive. I really liked the page turning interface.

This morning I downloaded and started reading My Man Jeeves. I read for about twenty minutes and didn't find the backlit screen overly tiring on the eyes. The necessity to "turn" pages after a paragraph or so was a small annoyance but an obvious limitation of the small screen.

I have no desire to buy a Kindle or similar reader. I don't feel like lugging around another piece of consumer electronics. I now get the majority of my books second hand, from the library or from BookMooch so purchasing DRM protected eBooks is also not attractive.

If I find the iPhone provides a comfortable reading experience then it may become my backup medium. It's certainly a fantastic way to explore the archives of out of copyright literature that is out there.

At some point when the next generation of ebook readers merge with tablet PC's or netbooks I may take the bait. For the moment I'll stick to dead trees with Stanza as a second choice.

No comments: